If you are like me and find the smell of Playdoh utterly disgusting, try this receipe for non-toxic homemade play dough.
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup hot water
A few drops of food coloring added to the water
- Mix the dry ingredients in a pot. Non-stick pans will reduce the cleaning greatly.
- Slowly add the colored water and mix.
- Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes until it is sticky and clumpy; stirring constantly.
- Place on non-stick surface like wax paper, cutting board, or porcelain plate.
- Let it cool, then knead it into a big huge lump if that would please you.
- Store in a covered container or ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
It’s that simple!
We just did our virgin batch with purple food coloring. 🙂
Some pointers that may help:
- DO NOT, for any reason, touch the hot dough. I scalded my finger picking up a stray blob off the stove. 😐
- Be prepared to train damn good biceps with the constant stirring, so please use a very sturdy stirrer.
- Put the kiddo on a chair near the kitchen-top (but not right at the stove ok) so he can kaypoh. He can also help pass ingredients to you.
- If dough gets onto unfavorable spots – like how Joshua purposely stepped into the dough and flattened dough on almost the entire kitchen floor – sprinkle flour on it and rub/roll. Everything should come off rather easily.
But if you have many spots all over the house like me, prepare for an aching back… 😦 *sigh* The things mommies have to do…